Reader Challenge

Posted By on June 14, 2006

“My Most Difficult Assignment Yet”

.: This will be a real quick post. My creative juices are flowing, but they’ve become thick and coagulated, and that’s really hard on my system. That’s why I’m asking you, reader, to do to things:

1.) I want you to think of a genre and the most hackneyed, overdone, unoriginal plot to go with it;

2.) Then I want you to do that again, but for a different genre.

.: Once you’ve thought of that, post those story lines into the comments below, and I will take the worst combination I see and write a short story combining both of them.

Comments

9 Responses to “Reader Challenge”

1. jer says:

Romance novel: Woman must choose between the good-in-the-sack lover who doesn’t respect her and the best friend of her late brother who loves her more than anything, but whose physical impairments make a sex life difficult.

Scifi: set amidst the backdrop of an interplanetary war, unlikely best friends struggle to end the centuries long feud between their native worlds.

2. Robin Z says:

Science fiction: aliens are trying to destroy the earth, and a plucky (use that word, “plucky” – it’s horrifically clichéd itself) space fighter pilot, possibly backed up by the fleet, manages to stop them (by destroying them) just in time.

Fantasy: an underappreciated teenager suddenly gets a chance to leave home guilt-free, and goes on a great journey that both acts as a Bildungsroman and reveals the teen’s extraordinary capabilities.

Well, those might not be too hard to combine. ^_^

3. Gigi says:

Horror–Killer is set loose on a high school of incredible good looking teenagers. Most of the libertine minded ones get killed, main girl (virgin) makes it out alive after finding out that killer is current boyfriend who’s pissed off because she refused his sexual advances.

Indie–Can’t have more than three locations (low budget) and have little regard for plot. The focus is on dialogue and soliloquies with as much pretention and SAT worthy vocabulary as possible. All the girls are strong yet poetic creatures, and the men are in touch with their feminine side while wearing flared jeans. Funky dance sequence, ’nuff said.

Hey, was that you PZ was talking about, about the little passage from Coulter’s book? Y’know, the first sentence of chapter 8, the evolution chapter.

4. Gigi says:

Testing..

5. Gigi says:

Damnit! Your blog ate up my genres!

Horror–A killer is set loose on a high school of incredibly good-looking teenagers. Most of the sexually libertine ones are killed off. The main girl (virgin) finds out that the killer is her boyfriend, whose sexual advances she refused about a week earlier. After running away for so long, and avoiding each near death encounter, she finally summons enough will to shoot and kill her once beloved. Girl power.

Indie–Can’t have more than three locations (low budget), and don’t think too much about plot. Focus is mainly on dialogue and soliloquies, each dripping with as much pretention posing as insight as possible. make sure your audience passes their SATs. The girls are strong-willed, quirky, yet poetic creatures, and the men are in tune with their feminine side while wearing flared jeans. Funky dance sequence, ’nuff said.

Was it you PZ was talking about on his latest Coulter entry? He had a post on the first sentence of chapter 8, the evolution chapter. Said a reader sent him an email of some excerpts.

6. Gigi says:

Why does your damn thing keep eating my comments?! Copying and pasting now:

Damnit! Your blog ate up my genres!

7. Gigi says:

Damnit. I don’t know what the hell is up (don’t know if you screen long entries or what not), but my two genres are on my site.

8. Gigi says:

Umm…. sorry.

9. Christina says:

I think Gigi’s was worth it’s three postings. I love the idea of pretentious, angsty kids killing for the sake of irony.